Vitamin D(cholecalciferol) is also termed the “sunshine vitamin” because of its ability to be absorbed by the human body through sunlight. This vitamin source plays a major role in maintaining bodily functions and keeping us healthy. During this coronavirus pandemic, you must have heard a lot about immune-boosting vitamins and among them, vitamin C and vitamin D tops the list.
Vitamin D supplements or foods are mainly used to increase calcium absorption in the body as it is very important for bone growth and bone remodelling. This micronutrient has to offer a lot of other benefits as well. In this article, we will know about this excellent vitamin, its sources, benefits and more.
Deficiency of vitamin D can lead to
- Low immunity
- Excessive tiredness and fatigue
- Back pain
- Pain in bones
- Imparied wound healing
- Low bone density
- Excessive hair fall
- Pain in muscles
Food sources that are rich in vitamin D are
- Orange juice
- Yolks of eggs
- Soy milk
- Fortified cereals
- Beef liver
If your food intake is not enough to meet your daily recommended dosage of vitamin D, then you should try out supplements. However, before trying supplements you must consult a medical practitioner to know whether your body needs this nutrient and in how much quantity. Some of the best selling vitamin D tablets capsules:
- HealthKart Vitamin D3 (2000 IU)
- INLIFE Vitamin D3 (2000 IU)
- Healthvit Vitamin D3 + K2
- Big Muscles Calcium Vitamin D3
- HerbalLeaf Vitamin D3+K2
- INLIFE Vitamin D3 5000 IU
- Swisse Ultiboost Vitamin D
- VITAWIN Vitamin D for Bone and Muscles Health (500 mg)
- Himalayan Organics Organic D3 K2 5000IU
- Vitamin D Nutra Grace D3 5K
- Natures Velvet Vitamin D-3 (5000 IU)
- Healthvit D-Vitan Vitamin D3 4000 IU
Let us have a look at the benefits of using this excellent vitamin source:
- This is one of the best vitamin sources that can help to improve your health and boost your immunity.
- It is excellent for improving the calcium absorption in your body and making your bones stronger.
- It can also help to reduce asthma in children.
- This vitamin can help to improve your cardiovascular health and reduce the chances of heart attack or stroke.
- It can help to reduce fatigue and tiredness to a great extent.
- Vitamin d is also known to improve memory functions in older people.
- Regular consumption of vitamin D tablet/ capsule supplements are also known to improve your dental health.
- Food sources/ supplements of vitamin D when consumed regularly can help to rejuvenate your mood and lessen the signs of depression.
- These supplements can also help to reduce thinning of hair.
Don’t overdose this vitamin source and before consuming vitamin D supplements you should check whether you are:
- Allergic to vitamin D
- Hypervitaminosis D
Excess consumption of vitamin D can lead to:
- Chest pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Excessive weight loss
- Metallic taste
- Breathing problem
- Growth problems in small children
- Pain in muscles or bone